Saturday, February 12, 2011

All things considered, I'd rather be fat.....

As you know, often when people are sick they lose weight.  For a skinny person this can be an additional problem in being sick.  For a person who struggles with their weight, it is nice to lose a little of course.  But you know being sick is not the idea way to do so.  Most skinny people however, don’t get that losing weight under these circumstances is not a good thing – because to skinny people losing weight is – well – the ultimate state of being.  That brings me to this particular story of word vomit.
Now don’t get me wrong, I am glad to have lost weight.  I am always glad when I do.  But I would certainly not under any circumstances recommend chemotherapy as a way of doing so.  Although I have tried very hard not to complain about it too much, I have physically just had the most miserable four months of my life. 
A number of people have told me that I look like I have lost a lot of weight, and I have.  They have said I look good, and I know that this is probably true.  But someone recently added to that observation that “You know, in the long run this whole thing will be really good for you!!”
Really???
I mean REALLY????
What I wanted to shriek in response was “Are you out of your effing mind???  I have been sick as hell for FOUR months, I have to be radiated and drugged, I have to have my breast amputated and replaced, and you think that because I lost weight that this is going to be a good thing for me??????  F*** YOU!”
Instead I smiled and walked away, pretty certain that I could win a Oscar for it because I was thinking of ways to kill a person using items found in an average office.
So the lesson for the day is that breast cancer is a life-threatening disease, not a weight loss plan.  And word vomit is a disease that could cost a person their life if I could get away with it…….

1 comment:

  1. Wow.You gave this person more grace than they may have deserved. Hang in there kiddo!

    ReplyDelete