Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Post Op Report – As a matter of fact, I AM kicking cancer’s ass……..

So a week ago today I had my breast cancer surgery – I will write a bit more about that experience later, but had such good news today I wanted post about that first.  I had a follow up with the breast specialist – the very lovely Dr. Golesorkhi – who went over the pathology report of all they tissue they took when  they removed my right breast and did the reduction on my left one. 
The news is astonishingly good. Dr. G has upgraded my cancer staging from the very frightening Stage 3 B to Stage 1.  This is fantastic.  They only found a fraction of the tumor left (1.9 cm when it had been 4.3 cm to begin with).  She removed all 12  lymph nodes and none of them had cancer in them and only 3 showed signs that cancer was trying to get in them.  There were a few cells around the original tumor that showed signs they could have eventually become cancer, but they weren’t and there were no other tumors.  And in the tissue from the left side – not a thing to be concerned about.  Hoooooo-ray!!!!!
Of course that still doesn’t change the plans for radiation and reconstruction and finishing up with Herceptin, but it does mean that I am truly kicking cancer’s ass.
She told me I will need to see her every 6 months now because I have a HISTORY of cancer – yes – HISTORY.  I don’t have cancer any more.  That crap is in my rearview mirror and I am flooring it to recovering. 
               

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic news Debbie! We've been cheering for you from Sydney and Will sends special kisses to Aunty Debbie (disclaimer: his kisses are not so much 'kisses' as they are opening his mouth and drooling on you....but it's the thought that counts right?!) Dee

    ReplyDelete