My much-appreciated friend Laurie (who has spear-headed the TEAM DEBBIE effort here in DC) sent a update from me to my group list of amazing DC based friends/caregivers today and I realized that I should probably post that on the blog too because it has all the latest with me. I am terribly behind on posting! (I agonize over some of them to get them just right and it takes me forever - i have multiple half written blogs that I really just need to finish)
Anyway - in the meantime - here is an update:
First of all, I have to say THANK YOU for all the love and support you have shown me since my breast cancer battle began. There really just aren’t the words to express how much you have all helped me though this so far. I have the best friends anyone could ever ask for. I am so very grateful.
I also wanted to give you an update of where things stand with me and in my treatment plan and what is ahead (lest you think I am done needing you, your thoughts and prayers!!)
Things are progressing very well and I am nearly halfway home on the overall treatment plan:
Chemo: Done! And successfully killed the cancer! (and my hair is starting to grow back!)
First Surgery: Done! And the cancer is OUT of me!
Reconstructive preparation: Underway and almost done – the doctor is stretching my remaining tissue so they can eventually put a new breast there (don’t ask)
Radiation: will start sometime in May and will run for 6 ½ weeks, every day but the weekends (it is going to suck but not as bad as chemo did)
Second Surgery: will get scheduled after I heal from the radiation (4-6 months after radiation is done) – to create a new breast on the right side (this warrants its own blog post!)
Third and final surgery: to do a little “perfecting” work to make sure I have a matched set! J 2-3 months after the second surgery.
So when will I really be done? Hard to say – but most likely early first quarter of 2012. Yes, it is a long and sucky process but it will be worth it in the end and technically I have already kicked cancer’s ass because it is OUT of me. The rest of my treatment is to insure that I don’t get it again, and to get my body back to normal (or perhaps better than the old normal!) And then - Yes, there will be a BIG party!
In other news – I have gone back to work after a month off. I am trying to ease into it and not planning lots of stuff on top of work right now because I get tired so easily. (My office has been great about all of this and I am grateful for that too.) However, I am feeling stronger each day though as the chemo leaves my system and I heal from the surgery.
Thank you again for all of your kindnesses, prayers, love and support. I love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment