I can’t believe I am finally at the end of the yucky part of my cancer treatments. I finished radiation – Thank God – it was HORRIBLE. I thought I was just being a baby about radiation, being bitchy etc. I was getting depressed that I couldn’t handle being sick anymore when I had been so strong up until this point. But I felt kind of vindicated when I saw my oncologist for a checkup and she could not hide her horror when she saw the burn. She said it was one of the worst radiation burns she had ever seen. Somehow that made me feel a lot better, just knowing that it wasn’t me being crazy – well at least about radiation. Not a lot that can be done about it though. I have burn cream but it takes a long time to heal and I have to be patient. Unfortunately, I am about out of patient!
However, now I understand why you have to wait 4-6 months for reconstructive surgery after radiation – it really does considerable damage to you and that has to be all healed before they can risk doing the surgery. So being patient is my only choice.
I only have two herceptin (good drug) treatments left. After those treatments are done, I can get horrible Herbert the medical port taken out and feel less like a mutant. At that point I am officially done with breast cancer treatment!!!! Hooray!!!!!
While I still have to wait to get my surgery done, that is the good part because it will get my life back to normal. This other crap – well that was just an interruption.
Hey end of the tunnel – I am ready for ya!
No comments:
Post a Comment