The oncologist was clear that I would be losing my hair because of chemotherapy. Since I am all about being prepared I enlisted the help of two of my trusted boys – Shayne and Alan – to go with me to the lovely wig shop Bravada that specializes in the trauma of hair loss. So my fabulous hair consultants gathered up their passports and we traipsed out into the suburbs of Northern Virginia a few weeks ago to find my new hairs. (Everything is easier when I have wonderful friends with me).
After a few teary moments when the first wig I tried on was ill-fitting and ugly, I snapped into focus to find just the right wig. Typically, I fell in love with the most expensive wig in the shop. I don’t care. I had to have it. I named her Charlotte. Trust me – they don’t have one of these at the American Cancer Society for free. The funny thing is – my hair has actually looked like this before (and somewhere along the line I lost that great hairdresser). The only trouble is that it needs to be trimmed to have bangs and frame my face more – but that doesn’t get done until I have lost all my hair so it is just right.
Having found THE wig, we played in the wig shop for a while and there are some seriously odd wigs available. That turned into a lot of fun and that is how I found my second wig. The other wig is a more edgy , darker, synthetic wig to wear before all my hair is gone (and also on weekends when I need to wash Charlotte). This one already has bangs so it is ready to wear. I have named her Sasha.
So three grand and a huge bag of wigs and supplies later (Shayne asked if it came with free oil changes when he heard the total), it was off to lunch and since everything about this stupid disease is just WRONG, what better way to top of the day than to go to Hooters! Oh yes we did! And it was fantastic – fried pickles and awesome chicken wings. Love it! We are also pretty sure all the girls there wear wigs. While I don’t want to wear them, mine are more fabulous! (Thanks Shayne and Alan!)
Girrrl, you too d. funny! But now, when someone really makes you mad, you can say with a modicum of truthiness, "He's gone and made me flip my wig!"
ReplyDelete