Thursday, January 6, 2011

The New Normal


There is something my mom used to complain about when she was sick that I never really understood until now. ….

When you have a serious illness, the doctors say they want you to tell them about the things you notice about your body, symptoms, strangeness basically anything that isn’t normal for you.

So you go to your check in appointments all with a list of the things that are going on – like I did today for my chemo check in with Dr. Favret.  She asks how I am feeling, I tell her and then she tells me “That’s normal.” 

Well NO – not really – that is why I am telling you about it – it isn’t “normal” or I wouldn’t have brought it up.  Then she says, if it happens again let us know.  Well I just did and it’s “normal.”  Is it going to be less “normal” the next time I tell you about it? WTF???

Today I remembered what my mom asked one of her doctors “So CRAPPY is the new normal?”  Apparently the answer is yes…. 

1 comment:

  1. You know how doctors tell you to make a list of symptoms and concerns for your regular checkup? I'll never forget one time I did that (with nothing nearly as dramatic as chemo). The doctor had checked me over and asked if I had any questions. I got out my list and she looked at me in horror and said, "You brought a LIST?"

    I guess she thought I was going to take up more than my allotted 15 minutes. Hmmph.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete