I never really thought I would die in the process of surgery, but I couldn’t help but get a little nervous being put under anesthesia for so long and having so much going on. I had asked Martha Jo to be my executor and guardian for the purpose of medical affairs shortly after my mom died, just so I would have the peace of mind that someone I trusted would be able to look out for me in case of emergency. I certainly didn’t think I would need to think about such things so soon.
Since Martha and I hadn’t really talked about it after the initial request, I made sure to spend the weekend before my surgery “putting my affairs in order” just in case. And I about made her cry by bringing the whole idea up the day before surgery, but it had to be done. However, I think I made up for it a little bit with my “living will” instructions – and while they will probably make you laugh a little – really everyone should have a good understanding of what you and your loved ones want, just in case you can’t speak for yourselves.
“Living Will” Instructions
Martha Jo Dean (and designated sub) has my power of attorney to make decisions. I trust her to do so in consultation with the doctors and if she feels like it – my other friends. I know it is hard to ask her to make such decisions so whatever makes her feel best is fine with me.
Here is the deal – I want to live and I want a good attempt to be made to keep it that way. However, if it looks like I will be in a persistent vegetative state, I don’t see that as any kind of life – especially when I believe that Heaven awaits me. So if it is to the point that there is no real hope for a life of cognitive thoughts and I am just laying around taking up a bed, it is time to pull the plug.
There is no family member that should be involved in such a decision. While I do have family – they do NOT know what is best for me and we just don’t have the kind of relationship where I want them to make decisions about my care. I trust the people that I have designated and I expect others to do so as well.
And here is what I want to be really, really clear - CONGRESS AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD MIND THEIR OWN DAMN BUSINESS. I do not want this decision to be second guessed or legislated or brought to the Supreme Court. And if anyone tries that shit – if there is a way for me to haunt them – I will do it.
These are my wishes and they better be followed.
Debra S Marshall
P.S. I wish I had more exciting affairs to get in order!
No comments:
Post a Comment