Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Creative Visualization

Recently, a friend of mine asked me how I managed to get through some of the really yucky things that I have had to do over the last year because I seem to have held things together pretty well.   I just laughed and said that I am a pretty good actress, but the truth is, that when I was a little kid and didn’t feel good or something, my mom would always tell me to “just think about something else” and then she would ask me what I was thinking about.  It would usually be something kind of silly like “pickles” or “when the dog ate your sweater.” 

During my mom’s different illnesses, I said the same thing to her and we would eventually get laughing about some odd, random thing she would think up.  It was dumb but it got us through a lot of very long days.

Dealing with this crappy disease, I realized that this odd game of creative visualization might do the trick in a lot of situations.  One such situation is too good not to share. 

Actually one of the crappiest things that I had to do was tell people I was sick.  I was unprepared for some of the responses I got (see blog: Word Vomit) and even more so for people who got super upset.  Now you would think that make a grown man cry might be a little satisfying, but alas, no.  It is actually really quite horrible, especially if you really think a lot of said man. 

In one instance, one of the sweetest men I know broke down in tears and it was very, very hard for me to keep myself together and reassure him that I would be kicking ass and taking names and he needed to hear that.  So I started thinking about something else and churning that thought over and over in my mind.  Of course, being a religious person, he wanted to pray with me, which was lovely and touching but it was also heart- wrenching and I HAD to keep it together for his sake.

So while this man said probably one of the most lovely and sincere prayers anyone has said on my behalf – I was thinking about something else -

-------------- and what’s worse is what I was thinking about.  I will admit it here, a little ashamed but mostly amused. 
My creative visualization thought is..................


 ------ Sex with Johnny Depp!


No comments:

Post a Comment