For a lot of my life, I went to school with a cool chick - Amy Bell. We hadn't seen each other since we graduated from high school. I won't say how long ago. But long enough for us to go to different colleges, lose touch, move to a lot of different places, in her case get married and have kids, in my case do a lot of job-hopping, and all that stuff that happens when people grow up.
Then came Facebook! We got talking again, which was nice enough in and of itself. Then one night she posted something about breast cancer and losing her close friend and college roommate to it - and saying that she would be raising money for the cure, which she has actually done a lot of over the years. I wrote her a note and told her about my battle and thanked for doing that because perhaps the money she raised helped provide my cure.
Not too long after that, Amy and her husband were chaperones for her school's 6th Grade trip to Washington DC. I was thrilled to get a chance to catch up in person with her and give her a big hug because soon she will be walking in the Susan G Komen 3 Day for the Cure down near our home town in part in MY honor!
Like I said - Amy is crazy! But since it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month - I thought I would post Amy's walk link in case you were thinking that before the end of the year you need another tax deduction, you feel guilty about eating Halloween candy and want to make amends, or you just want to stand up and scream "I ****ing hate breast cancer!" like I do!!!
http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/TampaBayEvent2011?team_id=177770&pg=team&fr_id=1630
Thanks Amy! I am honored and you are awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment