Today is the second anniversary of my diagnosis of Stage 3
Breast Cancer. I am winning this
fight!!
I have to tell you though, being diagnosed the day before
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a complete bitch. While of course it is great to raise
awareness, the whole time I am trying to wrap my head around the diagnosis and
deal with the on-slaught of doctor appointments while trying to keep my life on
track, everywhere I look there is some pink-effing-something reminding me that
I could die. Every time I saw pink something I wanted to
punch someone in the face for reminding me about breast cancer. At least that is what I thought at the
time. Okay maybe I was a bit stressed
out…..
Now, I am seeing through “pink eyes.” I realize how important
awareness is. It is surprising how many
women don’t get regular mammograms or hesitate to get something checked out by
a doctor. People – if you notice
ANYTHING different about your breasts or surrounding area – GO TO THE
DOCTOR. I’d had a normal mammogram in
February and had Stage 3 breast cancer in September. The minute I noticed something wrong, I
called the doctor and because we acted quickly we prevented the spread of the
cancer to my lymph nodes. I am one of the lucky ones!
While the parade of
pink events and fundraisers can be overwhelming, they have raised a load of
money to both do research for the cure and to help women without resources
fight this fight. Most importantly, they might make some women
who haven’t done so think about getting a mammogram.
I was surprised to find out that Washington DC has one of
the highest mortality rates in the country for breast cancer. There are many breast cancer charities
working to change that, including Susan G Komen Foundation, the Prevent Cancer
Foundation, Planned Parenthood and the GW Mammovan Program. I hope as you look at your charitable giving (or
buying) options this month, you will think about donating to one of these organizations.
Breast cancer is not a fair fight, we need to do everything
we can to swing the odds in our favor!
No comments:
Post a Comment