It has been a nightmare from which I have struggled to wake up. Bad enough to spend couple months of healing
from a major surgery, add being disfigured to the mix and that is at least the
third level of hell.
I was trying really hard to get my good attitude back – I
mean I made it through chemo, losing my hair, the first surgery, and a bitch of
a radiation burn – but this was just one thing too many. I was on the very end of my very last
rope.
First I had to pull myself together so I could express my
concerns without using the F word, which you know is one of my favorite words. This was and continues to be a
challenge. I think this has been a hard
time for my friends to help me through because a) there isn’t anything you can do about it and b)
it seemed so strange that you may have thought I was exaggerating. I understand that and I love everyone for
wanting to help, even though the situation is just bizarre.
Finally, I managed to get and calm enough to turn to the
medical community to find a path forward from the devastation. I had a lot of doctor recommendations from
friends and from the great nurse consultant from my insurance company. I researched each person and made a priority
list of doctors who seemed to specialize in fixing problem surgeries.
I was most excited
for my appointment with the Chief of Plastic Surgery, Dr. Spear. (Thanks to Kimmie who went along with me to
this appointment). I was forewarned that
Dr. Spear has the bedside manner of an IRS agent, but found that is a serious insult
to the IRS. In addition, his nurse
manager made me want to punch her in the head.
Zero compassion – not a good start.
While Dr. Spear agreed that my surgery had been a disaster
and needed to be fixed, he honed right in on my weight like somehow this was the
reason the surgery went wrong and that I need bariatric surgery. Okay what the hell - I weigh less than I did
before I got sick and if this was the problem – why did Asshat even do a
surgery? Zero sense. But I digress. Dr. Spear agreed that a breast should be made
from my excess stomach tissue – ummm YES that was the original plan so I am thinking
we are making progress. Then he said “Well
no one in Washington will touch you.”
WHAT?!??! I DON’T
HAVE FUCKING LEPROSY!!!
But wait, it gets WORSE if you can imagine that. He proceeded to tell me at he didn’t think
that I needed a mastectomy at all because of where my tumor was and that I would
have had enough tissue to take out a wedge of my breast and just do reductions
rather than a full removal. ARE YOU
FUCKING KIDDING ME? Now it isn’t like I
agree with him and I really do trust the rest of my medical team who recommended
the mastectomy but on what fucking planet would you think it is a fine idea to
tell a mutilated woman something like that? Especially when you don’t have the complete medical
report on the cancer? An asshat, plain and simple.
The only somewhat helpful thing he told me was the name of a
doctor in Philadelphia who does believe that overweight women should get new
breasts made from their stomach and apparently has the audacity to provide this
service – Dr. Serletti. Apparently every
fat chick that gets breast cancer in DC has to leave the city to get help. Whatever.
I cried for days.
But I powered through.
I made an appointment to go to Philadelphia in case that really was the
only solution, but since my horrendously fat gut was calling bullshit, I decided
to try a couple other DC doctors. When I
called their offices I basically just asked if the doctor would do a stomach
version of the surgery on someone like me.
When I was O for 3, I was getting more and more depressed by the
day.
One of the many nights when I couldn’t sleep, I kept
thinking of the other doctors on my Kick Cancer Team and I just couldn’t
imagine why they wouldn’t have told me that this was the situation. I got up and dug out the original list of
plastic surgeons that the very wonderful Dr. Golesorkhi had given me. I went back to the other name on the list
that had a star by it – denoting a surgeon with whom she had done more
work. I remembered why I had not called
his office – it is the name of the practice. DaVinci Plastic Surgery. At the time, it had just rubbed me the wrong
way. I got on line and started
researching the doctor – Dr. Davison. Pleased
with what I found, I decided to call the next day.
I lucked into an open appointment just four days later. (Thanks to Tracy for going with me!)
Honestly, I headed there with absolutely no hope, but I thought it was so
absurd that I would have to go to Philadelphia that I had to try.
What an amazingly different experience!
Before Dr. Davison even looked at the problem – he wanted to
hear from me what I see when I look in the mirror and what kind of outcome I
hope for. I told him that my left breast as it was
reduced is the right size and looks pretty good and that the right side looks
like something Frankenstein’s doctor created and that I cry every single day
when I see it. I told him that I am just
looking for a path forward that might get them looking roughly the same.
Dr. Davison said two super important things –
“Well, you are not overstating the
problem in the least!” And more
importantly – “I can fix it!”
He wanted to know why Asshat hadn’t just used my stomach
tissue to begin with (good fucking question) and said that the entire surgery
would need to be redone (so I AM right!)
I told him the bullshit that I had been given over the summer and he was
appalled. He said that he used to be in
practice with Dr. Spear and that Dr. Spear doesn’t like to work on fuller
figured people and that was part of why he is no longer in that practice. He added that personally he believes that
anyone who needs his help should get it (How refreshing!) and that it was
ridiculous to think I had to go to Philadelphia to get help. (yes it is) He also said that while losing weight is a
good idea (obviously!) that it was ridiculous of them to say I needed bariatric
surgery when they could take away tissue to make a new breast. Huge sigh of relief.
He outlined a plan to repair me – a series of three
surgeries. The first surgery will be to
take away the mess and start over by using my stomach tissue to make a new
breast and give me an excellent tummy tuck. That will mean a week in the
hospital and four to six weeks off work.
The second surgery will be to sculpt the breast into shape to and to
make the other side a little perkier but keeping it the same size and make them
match! The final surgery is to take care of details and scarring. He said the whole process will take around
six months but that he believes there is a very good success rate even at my
current weight. He said “I would really
like to do this for you.” I said "YES!" I was elated,
and relieved to the point of tears.
He was so incredibly kind!
As we were leaving, he took my hand again and said “I don’t know why you
have had to go through this horrible thing, but I am sure we can fix it and if
something doesn’t work, I won’t stop trying until we get it right.” I could have hugged him to bits.
Instead, I sent him a note a few days later in which I told him that I had come to him with zero hope. I
thanked him for all of the time he spent with us and for his compassion. I told him that I am looking forward to my
surgery because he has already worked wonders on my wounded spirit.
Seriously, even though I haven't had the surgery yet, I feel like a new woman. It is a horrible thing to be without hope.
But I was right - my cancer story is NOT going to end with this
nightmare!!
(Surgery 1 is likely in January 2013 in Washington DC)
No comments:
Post a Comment